Monday, May 14, 2007

generosity

I'm trying to learn something that has always been difficult for me: generosity. I am so humbled by many people of poverty who give their all and beyond their means - while me and (most of the middle-class culture) reasons away sharing and giving.

It shames me to say it, but often, I give the minimum. I figure out what is expected of me, or what I think should be expected according to how close I am to the person, the occasion, even if they will be thankful...

I was given $20 unexpectedly for helping watch some kids. Jessie had helped me some with them and I felt like it would be generous of me to give her half, even though she wasn't there the entire time and I fed them out of my cupboard (see my "superior" reasoning abilities). The next night was big buddy's birthday party. She gave him a card she had bought and the $10.

Here is a young girl that most would look down upon. She doesn't have work. She gets a disability check (for being mentally slow). She lives with her boyfriend and they live with her mom. She gives hilariously, generously, from the heart, with abandon, not thinking of herself or tomorrow. I have a lot to learn from her.