Saturday, June 7, 2008

Princess's lack of social skills

Princess has a really hard time socially. Especially with people who are not in her "hood realm". She is basically on house arrest, so I have to go to her to see her and we can't go anywhere private. She has never been comfortable with me in her home and has no idea how to start or keep a conversation going. There are always others around and they are the ones who ask or answer questions or make comments.

This visit, I brought the kids. Princess' nieces and nephews were so excited we came and were bouncing all over the place over us being there. The only little girl is maybe half a year younger than my daughter and it was obvious that she wanted to make friends, but didn't know how. She tried sharing a chip with my daughter and sat right up next to her, but then she started to pull my daughter's hair, pinch or hit. Each time I'd take her hand away and say "no". Meanwhile Princess decided it was funny and laughed and laughed. I finally told her that her laughing was making the little want to do it more. Her parents were telling her that it wasn't funny too.

But I remembered immediately an incident when Princess was in about 3rd grade. She had cussed out a teacher and I took her mom to go and get her. When they got home, Princess' mom told everyone how Princess had cussed out the teacher and they all laughed and laughed. Now she is doing the same inappropriate behavior. I feel so bad for the kids. By not learning how to act with others, they are headed down the same path of frustration, anger and loneliness.

Pray that I'll have discernment in my relationship with her. She really acts like she doesn't want me around and I need to know what is best for her and us. I am one of the few people in her life that can show her that life doesn't have to be how she has always known it- chaotic, crime ridden, stagnant.
_____________________________________________________________

On another note, Meshell called me today. They are in the process of moving again. They move at least once a year- which is formidable since they neither have a car or phone. She was at someone else's house and was waiting for her brother's girlfriend to get off work and take them to the old house to move some things today. She asked me to go get her mail and bring it to her. I asked her why she couldn't wait until the girlfriend took her there. She told me she didn't want someone taking the mail before she could get it. I learn so much by her being in my life. That would have never been a concern of mine, but for some it is their reality.

No comments: