Sunday, December 7, 2008

My toddler teacher

For the last three weeks, the kids and I have talked about and done activities based on the three persons of the Trinity. Last week was the Holy Spirit, who I think is the least talked about of the three, the least understood, the least sought after and the most critical in our day and age. Jesus said to let him go because he was going to send the Holy Spirit who would instruct each of us. I think the Holy Spirit is intimidating to us, at least He is to me, because I don't like to die to myself and too often I am not praying His will be done and let me know you more, but what is He going to ask of me? Will I fail? Can I do it? I don't like dying to myself... And yet that is the essence of living, it is in the dying and giving.

We can't spend much on Christmas gifts, but we try to give something small to family and friends, something homemade maybe or meaningful to show our love. We also try to encourage the kids to be generous. I was thinking we should give something to the kids I have kept for the last year and asked AO#1 and #2 if they wanted to give something. AO#1 said he wanted to give the older boy his grabber. I couldn't believe it. He just got this for Christmas, from his nanna no less and it's his favorite gift. The boys fought over it just last week. I kept asking him, are you sure you want to give that? You can't take it back once you give it. It won't be yours anymore... I even got a small item from the dollar store as an alternate gift (which was most likely my flesh, because I am not the best giver and have a hard time giving things away). As I wrapped up the gifts, AO#1 added a stuffed animal of his (again one of his favorites), then went around the house looking for things to give to his friends. He brought me the grabber and told me he wanted to add it to the gift. I asked agent B what he thought (still being stingy) and agent B said he did not want to discourage generosity. Then he asked AO#1 why he chose that toy and the 4 year old's reply was that the Holy Spirit told him to give it. He gave his best, his favorite and is jumping for joy, so excited for his friend to make the great discovery of such a great gift. That's the kingdom and that's why the Lord said it belongs to the children. Even as I struggled with my flesh, I heard the Lord say to me: "would you keep your son from loving me like this?" Pure worship, pure love. I want more of that.

4 comments:

Leanne Stewart said...

Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I have much to learn too. Thank you A01 for showing me what the Holy Spirit is doing.

Anonymous said...

that was from Lil' Sis

Unknown said...

Sometimes we as an adult can learn much from our toddler. They have a pure love....

Happy blogging,

Toddler Gifts