Monday, April 23, 2007

Bored???


I was talking with Meshell and asked about her day which she said wasn't very good. I asked her why and she said she'd been bored. I remember being bored about twice as a teenager, maybe a few more times than that in adulthood- then never again. I always have a pile of books I'd like to read, recipes I'd like to try, play time with the kids, the time sucking world wide web, arts... I'm not saying this is a good thing. I think most of our society errs on the end of unhealthy busyness, filling our lives up with stuff (material and activities) so that we don't have to deal with the uncomfortableness of our raw selves, of being alone with the Lover, of surrendering, repenting, being challenged to change...

But many of the people I have met from the poverty culture live in this very different arena of boredom. Mostly these are the ones with some fixed disability income that gives them enough to survive, but not enough to do much of anything else.

My heart weeps for her and those caught in boredom, because I know the Lover calls us to so much more. Neither do I want to be trapped in busyness. I think this is one of the reasons we need each other.

Lover, give Meshell and my other "bored" friends passion for you and help them find ways to live fully and abundantly as you have called us to and may I lay down the pursuits that are not of you, that are unhealthy distractions keeping me from the fullness of life.

No comments: