Monday, December 10, 2007

not a baby


Mbamie, Pieter, their kids and sister stopped by last night to say goodbye and wish me a good trip. It was an exciting time since they had good news and I had good news. Pieter's face was filled with delight and he told me to guess what good news they had. My first thought was that they were pregnant. I mean he was wearing the same big smile people have when they are expecting. But if they weren't I would totally embarrass him by suggesting it and they wouldn't likely announce it like that. So I thought- what other news would give them smiles that big? Then it came to me...

"Did your suitcases come in?"
"Yes!" He shouted, all smiles and bubbling with excitement.

They arrived at his door last Friday and he thought of calling to tell me, but wanted to tell me in person, since they had already planned to stop by. Then Mbamie hands me a plastic bag with two dresses from Africa in them for me! I was stunned. This man was told to condense anything he wants to take for him and his family in two suitcases- all his possessions. And he still found room for gifts for others. I was very honored, not that I have a clue where I would wear these dresses- I can't stand dresses and one of them is very African and the other very flamboyant- both reminders of their great love.

My good news was that Jessie gave me her computer for them. I went next door asking if they have a computer to sell, since Frieda is always picking them up at garage sales for $5. Then Jessie says Pieter could have hers, that she never uses it.

Pieter was so excited! I hope it works well for him.

No comments: