Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm at the feet of good teachers

A conversation between me and my son (age 3).

Son- "We need lots of money"
"We do?"
Son- "Yeah, Jesus needs money. He fell off his donkey. We have to go to the paper store (the bank) and make money to give for Jesus".

One of my son's favorite stories is that of the good samaritan. In a children's version of it that we have, the man beaten had been on a donkey. If you tell the story like my son did, by morphing it with Matt. 25, it makes a powerful message. To love our neighbor is to take care of the one who is beaten down, robbed, left desperate and alone. To love God is also to love this same neighbor- what we have done for the least of these, we have done for him. Mamma T tried to have this same perspective as she ministered to the poor, to see herself as touching, feeding, comforting, loving Jesus- the lover being loved.

______________________________________________________________
Jenny was over the other day. I was trying to make a collage/picture for Mbamie commemorating the arrival of her husband, so I just let Jenny in, threw some paper, glue, markers and stuff at her and let her get creative too. She came to look at what I was making and I gave her a synopsis of the reunion. I told her how Pieter arrived here and that his luggage is lost and he barely has clothes. She then exclaimed:

"I wish I still had my $5. I spent it yesterday on rings for my brother and I, but I could have given it to him. I'll get another $5 someday though and then I can give it to him."

She went home and had to come back since no one was there. We told her she could eat supper with us. She then told me how she missed her friends Jason and Sally, that they used to cook ramen noodles for her. This was the kids who often went without food, water, electricity- and yet they shared what they had with others in need.

1 comment:

Mark said...

awesome post - I am always amazed at your wonderful kids. AO#1 is growing up fast, and it sounds like he's got something pretty profound figured out at a young age. Start saving for that ticket to Calcutta now! :)

If only we truly believed in the story AO#1 loves so much.