Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I am the gate


The kids and I have been talking about the 7 I AM statements of the Lover, going over one each week. This week was a shorter one due to Easter, so I chose to do the I AM THE GATE statement. I understood it the least and figured there wasn't a whole lot we could explore on it.

As I was looking up a gate craft online, I found information on the Japanese Torii gate for a Shinto Shrine. While reading about this other religion, I gained a deeper understanding of the symbolism of the Lover as the gate to the CEO of the universe.

Going from the text of John 10 in The Book, I was a bit lost. It has been hard for me to relate to the sheep and the going in and out... blah, blah. But when I heard that these Japanese gates were a physical space to mark the transition from the sacred (the shrine) to the profane (the normal world) it all fell into place for me.

Today the kids and I talked about the temple, the ark of the covenant, the Holy of Holies, the cross, the tearing of the curtain and of the Lover being our gate, our passage way into the presence of God. Somehow it just became so much more deep to me.

We played a game. I closed my legs and declared: "The gate was closed. Jesus died on the cross. Jesus is the gate. The gate is open. Run to God." and made a bridge under my legs through which the kids ran with delight, glee and some rolling, tumbling and crashes. We played it innumerable times and they couldn't get enough of it. They were so excited to play out the mystery of it all and it seemed that with each retelling, the truth sank deeper into my spirit.

Thank you love for these symbols and these children who help unlock the treasures you've placed in the universe that we may come to you and know you more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the analogy and the image of the kids tumbling and running through your legs. Lil' sis

Anonymous said...

I love what you wrote about Jesus being our gate "our passage way into the presence of God."

I will definitely play your game with my kids.

Do you have a list of the "I Am: statements that you could easily post? I think that is a great idea.
Joy and Peace,
Sara

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.