Thursday, April 10, 2008

new kids on the block

I'm a lot like the Israelites- I grumble. I find myself feeling sad when we are not actively involved in some sort of ministry situation and feel like we are just living for ourselves- thus sense my spirit grumbling with the CEO over it. Then He'll send someone our way and I'll grumble about the time, effort and stretching it involves on our part. I am trying to change this and sometimes I recognize that He gives us seasons of interaction and seasons of rest and can thus actually appreciate the rhythm of it.

Our street has been interesting. It is not the "inner city", nor is it the "suburbs". It's just people with all sorts of needs and levels of need. Where the CEO seems to have directed us most has been to Obiwan and to the children of the neighborhood. Children are so open and friendly. While we may not know all the adults on our street, the kids have no problem with stopping over and asking if we can play or if they can come in our house (even before we had kids). To miss these opportunities would truly be foolishness, because I am learning they do not last long and it goes in waves.

When we first landed here, it was Freida's preteens who came over regularly, but in 5 short years, they are too cool for that and it has become much harder to connect with them. There were other kids down the street who lived without utilities who we were able to connect with quite a bit after the teens stopped coming by as much. Then they moved on and it has been Jenny and Sebastien that came a lot. These two now have a new baby brother and come as good friends, but not as often as before. I am seeing that now it may be time to invest in a brother and sister who are frequenting our neighborhood more and more. They hang out with their grandpa in the day during the summer and came once to color with us. We've seen them quite a bit on the street lately. Their parents are going through a divorce and they are obviously looking for friends and love.

I need to kill my flesh in this. The other day, they were trying to hang out and I was just enjoying peace without the 4some I had had all day. I was surfing the net and I heard them outside begging for attention. I have to get over wanting "my time" and get over the little quirks that irk me in them. Sometimes I find these two annoying. Stupid things like littering on the street or in the house (seen that before), trying to run over others during play, being ungrateful and bossy. The thing is it's not their fault they are like that and these aren't the important matters. The important thing is that they are here, they are calling out for love and the CEO has called us to love others. It would be easier and not as messy if we just shut our door and our hearts, but we would be missing out on a most great opportunity that will not come by again- at least not with them at this time and place. Each day is unique and we have to capture both the times of rest and the times of planting, watering and allowing the CEO to work through us. It's critical for us and for them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to quote this part of what you wrote in my journal.
"Each day is unique and we have to capture both the times of rest and the times of planting, watering and allowing the CEO to work through us. It's critical for us and for them." This is so important for us to remember.

As I drive my daughter to school, we pray for God to help us be kind. If we are not looking we can miss opportunities to show kindness and His love to others.

Keva said...

been bloghopping....found you....this matter has been on my heart. Good to hear your thoughts. I am experiencing some of the same things, I have struggled with how to handle these neighbor hood children. At first I didn't want them to hang out with my kids, for fear of them being negative influences (they cuss, are disrespectful, talk about drugs and sex frequently), I was the one being a negative influence....teaching my children to only love the ones we choose to, and be a snob if someone isn't good enough to be our friend. I'm still trying to figure out just how to balance it all. Look forward to frequenting your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.