Thursday, April 17, 2008

Why friendship is important

He's 1 week shy of his 91st birthday. A steady stream of people come into his home everyday, but he feels like he's all alone if our car so much as leaves the street. The people who come are nurses, a cleaning lady, meals-on-wheels delivery person and while most are kind and genuine, they are there because of a program and Obiwan's emotional needs are not met through them.

He said tonight: "you make me feel like I'm wanted in this world. Some people walk by and never look at you, like you're not even there. Others come to get something from you. Some come so that they can go gossip about everything- that's bad. You're like my children. I call you my chilluns and if I see any movement at your place I feel like I'm not alone."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that AO1 and AO2 have ObiWan for a nearby grandpa. Lil' sis