Thursday, October 2, 2008

The power of our words

Agent B. and I really believe in the power of our words. The saddest thing to me is when I see parents use their words to belittle, shame or harm their children, often due to their own ignorance, need to control or lack of confidence... This is something I see a lot among the poverty culture, but is not restricted to them by any means.

I've seen the power of a positive word over our son AO#1. He has a lot of issues and one of them is his myriad fears. One day I heard his father say over him "you are the bravest person I know". Inwardly I thought to myself "you don't have to lie to the boy", but I'm glad I held my tongue. I remembered a story of a prophetic man who visited a church and called one church member to stand up. The prophet said "you are a gentle man". The whole congregation gasped because it was well known that this man was an abuser and not at all gentle. However after some time, the man became gentle! The prophet spoke God's truth over him, not the lie he was living.

I have seen the power of Agent B's word of faith, blessing and empowerment over AO#1 and it really has been amazing and formative. Now, I am so glad he had the wisdom to speak it to his son. AO#1 is becoming more and more courageous. He is putting his fears aside. He overcame his potty issues and I've heard him declare on several occasions "I can do this, my dad said that I am brave".

Words can tear down a person and they can live in shame all their life for it, or the right words, at the right time, by the right person, can give a person, a child, a life, freedom to be all the Lord is calling him to be- even to overcome personality traits in order to function and live at a higher level, with success, in faith and in strength- all because of a well placed word.

Speech is free, give away gold today to someone you know.

No comments: