Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Happy Ones


I facilitate a water aerobics class for pregnant women- it's my free ticket into the Y and a fun outing, not to mention a little chump change that pays for diapers. I was also offered a class for MHMR clients (Mental Health Mental Retardation). We've had it several weeks now. It's fun, they're fun. They almost always have smiles and are bubbling with excitement. One man from class is passionate about arc welding- I have no clue what it is, but every class he tells me he loves arc welding. He also tells me (about every 3rd exercise) that whatever exercise we are doing is his FAVORITE! Many of them just love being in the water and in the middle of jumping jacks or arm lifts will dunk themselves under or splash the nearest person just for fun.

Tonight I asked them to share their favorite part of today. Almost every single one of them said their favorite thing today was work. Very few people would consider the work they do as thrilling. One takes out groceries at Albertsons, several work at the State School (an institution for severe MHMR clients), others do yard work...

We don't hear that every day, or from everyone, so unanimously, so enthusiastically. I have so much to learn from them... the happy ones.

3 comments:

Deana said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_welding

In school I always volunteered in the special needs class. I had several of them as classmates in art class and phys. ed. too. I loved LOVED their outlook on the day. I started my day with Kevin, telling me it was his birthday...every day. And I would tell him Happy Birthday, every day! Then at lunch Melissa would come up while I was getting my sandwich and say, Hey...is it time to go home yet? I would show her how many more hours, and then ask her what she would do when she got home. Her answer always was, Hug my mom.

You learn a lot about your own outlook on life when you are around these special people.

Madame Angela Baggett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
agent wife said...

Thanks for the stories- beautiful and also for the web address- about to go check it out.