Monday, June 25, 2007

Womb memories




I had read somewhere that if asked early enough (before age 3 or so) a child could remember and describe their experience in the womb. As the child grows older, these first memories fade away. I've asked AO1 several times if he remembers being in mommy's tummy. He always replies "yes", but I've never understood his attempts to explain until last night. He explained that:

"I hear your heart. It was very dark. We're going. Tunnel. Stay a long time. There's my feet. Had to turn around"

It was not all in that order necessarily and some of it he repeated. He said "tunnel" several times. When he said "we're going" I recalled how I used to tell him and reassure him that the Holy Spirit was with him in the womb and that when he needed to leave that he should have peace and just follow the Holy Spirit out and cooperate with what my body was doing. I also prayed all of that over him. So that may explain the "we".

Also, after he said "there's my feet", he told me he wanted the sheet on his feet, so I'm not sure if that was a memory or in the present- although in the present, his feet were under the cover and he couldn't see them nor was he touching them.

Powerful eh? It gave us shivers.

6 comments:

Deana said...

this took my breath away...I had no idea! you should record AO1 talking about it...or get it on video!

trish said...

You could call him sweet feet.

Mark said...

crrrrazy post. i like it! i betcha in a few years ivan will really appreciate reading it too.

I'm ready for some new material! We miss Agent Wife!!! :)

Leanne Stewart said...

What Deana said!

agent wife said...

I tried making a recording of AO1's account. I asked, what do you remember from being in mommy's tummy and he said: "no, I don't want to, can we make muffins?"- the little stinker! So, I'll keep trying- 'cause it was a great idea.

Deana said...

the way we get abbey to not be shy for the camera is to tell her account on something, or sing, or perform to Max or the dog. :)