Monday, July 23, 2007

Busted


I was thinking the other day about how selfish I am, even as I try to "befriend" others. How often is my "befriending" done for my benefit? I wanted to learn Spanish, so I would meet with others who wanted to learn English and "swap". But invariably, when we met, my main interest was in my abilities, not in helping the other. I was thinking I should stop by and see my refugee friends more and let the kids play too, not so much because they need friends (and they do), but because I miss French and want my kids around French too. I'm just being real here. It's ugly, but true.

Then I read this tonight: "To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are SELF-SEEKING and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger". Rom.2:7

On the recommendation of an internet friend, I read "Sir Gibbie" by George MacDonald. It was so awesome. It's a novel and a bit hard to read because conversations are written in a Scottish brogue, but it really reminded me that our goal is to love others and serve others, not self.

I want to be more like that. So I'm confessing here, 'cause that's what I saw when I looked in the mirror.

1 comment:

Leanne Stewart said...

You don't even want to know what I see when I look in my mirror.