Thursday, November 29, 2007

aclimatized

Being from Canada, one of the things I find most hilarious is seeing adult's reactions to their first snow. My Jamaican uncle visited Canada once in winter and could not believe that people live in such cold. He kept saying that no one would believe him if he told them that his flesh could freeze.

Tonight, I saw Pieter, Mbamie's husband and asked him what he thought of the recent snow. He was amazed to say the least. The minute fall finally started to breeze through the Fair mother city during Mbamie's first year here, she kept telling me that they were going to die because of the cold. One time, I spotted a refugee outside of Walmart by their clothing alone. And no, they weren't wearing African attire. It was a fall day- no where near freezing, but a little cool and a lady waited for the bus with her daughter in parkas, shivering and acting cold. I told Mbamie she didn't want to visit Canada in the winter.

While the adults have a hard time adjusting, kids are so moldable! Persimons- Mbamie's daughter told me tonight "I want to go with YALL!" I told Pieter "that's not really English what she is speaking, but Texan". His eyes grew big and he looked at his daughter with pride. Here he is struggling to pick up passable English and she's already into localisms (with a cute accent).

He may be getting a job soon. He has a test to pass Monday. Please ask the lover to give him the answers/ability/whatever it is they are testing.

No comments: