Thursday, September 20, 2007

judging


Yesterday was a little crazy, but worked out well. Agent B didn't have work and it seems that when that happens, it's a good thing, because I ended up with a bunch of errands for people and phone calling and he could keep the kids for me.

I happened by Meshell's house as I was out dropping off things all over town and found out she needed a ride to the medicaid office. I was also going to help Mbamie with medicaid stuff, so I had thought I'd do both at the same time, but never got a hold of Mbamie on time, so Meshell and I left. When we got there, there were 3 people in the room and one was Mbamie. It turned out great because she was going to walk home and instead we were able to get her a ride and help her find the rest of her son's school supplies.

On the way over, Meshell had told me that she was using the last of her sanitary napkins and I'd been wondering if I should buy her some, but money is tight right now, so I wasn't sure. She told me she had tried to get some from a church that morning and they didn't have any to give that day. As Mbamie is getting her son's supplies, Meshell picks out a soda to buy. Immediately I am in judgement mode. She did this the last time I was with her... telling me how she didn't have money for her son's school supplies, but wanting me to stop so that she can purchase sodas from the convenience store. I whispered to her, "do you want to get some more sanitary napkins while we're here?". She says "no, I'll wait 'til I get paid". I don't get it. You can get feminine products for a couple of bucks at the Dollar store, but instead she buys soda.

Then Mbamie once again teaches me about love. As she's paying for her son's supplies, she tells me to tell Meshell to add the soda to her stuff. Mbamie is struggling herself. A church had helped her with the rest of the school supplies at the beginning of the year and her she is being generous to my friend, who she had just met, while I judged her.

On the way home the Spirit also reminded me not to judge lest we be judged. Meshell could look at the way we spend money and be just as bewildered as I was with her. We have our splurges too that don't make sense. We make less money than her and her mom, but have high speed internet. We probably spend more on that each month than her sodas. I guess we all have our areas of questionable spending, but the issue is really my heart. Can I learn to just give even when it doesn't make sense, even if it's not necessities, even when the other person's life does not line up how I think it should?

Lord, forgive me.
______________________________________________________________________________

Pray that Mbamie's husband will arrive this time. A new date of Tues, Sept. 25th was given as his new arrival date!!

1 comment:

Leanne Stewart said...

Listening and praying and nodding my head from both sides of the fence.