Saturday, September 15, 2007

this and that

Mbamie update: The embassy apologized to her husband for their mistake and told him to wait (again). The next group heading out will leave end of Sept. and the next in Oct. Hopefully he'll be in the first group. She has moved into her new apartment though, so they will be all ready for his arrival, whenever that will be!

Hot items: We have two hot items that brings a steady stream of contact from the neighbor kids. One is a bike pump. All throughout the summer we see our neighbor kids and their friends on a frequent basis to air up bike tires. I got this because I was tired of taking my and Princess' bike to the shop to be aired up. Ironically, we don't have any bikes, but we have a pump and it is used a lot. The second item cost me all of $20 over 10 years ago. It's hair clippers. I can't count the number of times it has chopped hair: mine, agent B's, AO1's, Obi-wan's, the Tiger's and his brother's. Around hair cutting time at the Sandfords, it will be used 2-3 times in a couple of days. It wouldn't take much for them to get one. I'm not sure why they don't, but I'm glad they come to borrow ours. It's fun to share and then we don't feel half bad when we borrow their lawn mowers.

They should be banned: Solicitors! I hate it. They prey on the ignorant, the uneducated, the impoverished. Mbro, Mbamie's brother, needs some foot surgery. They sent him to a private clinic where they wanted the several thousand dollars up front. They wouldn't even let him pay it out. So he refused to go there. He calls me for help filling out an application for some assistance. He couldn't understand the form, which is weird, because of all the group, he has been coping really well in English. He comes over and I couldn't figure out the form. It also came with this huge manual and CD-ROMs. I read the cover letter. It starts out: "We are so confident of our product and it's rewards for you" or some such nonsense and I get a bad feeling right away. As I read along, the feeling gets worse. They promise $25 000 to people who use their system and exclaim that the government just gives money out all the time and why not take advantage of it. I asked Mbro if he bought the book and materials (he did for $200!!!) There is a money back garanty (and a bunch of hoops to go through to get it). Considering the money he paid, I look through the entire book and nothing offers a bursary for the type of help he needs. Many people can sniff out these crooks right away, but for the person with limited language skills and big needs, these sound like an answer to prayers. Sounds more to me like our expression, being robbed blind.

3 comments:

miller said...

see, this is what i'm talkin' about... i can't help but think there are some people in life that just need some severe bruising. i think it would help our society if these slimey solicitors knew their profits came with some personal risk!

these people prey on the old, the feeble, and the foreign. it makes me very angry!

my grandmother used to fall for every scam that came along. we had to get to her post office box before she did and sort all those things out before she could get to them.

yeesh...

Leanne Stewart said...

oh, I am SOOOOO glad I am not the only one who had a violent reaction to this.

*has very un-Christ like visions of herself and a baseball bat and the solicitors from that company*

trish said...

I appreciate that in your hood people actually have community and stop just to 'borrow' something. TO me it is an excuse to feel connected. Everybody needs somebody.

This post is the one and only reason I am willing to work for less than everyone I graduated with. I want people to have healthcare that won't rape them. I can give them some level of care- maybe not expertise in specialty fields, but good care and hopefully a some godsmack too.