Thursday, October 18, 2007

In remembrance and in thanks


I came home today to a little terror. That little terror was my son and he was in a fowl mood. Looking back, I should have done something about it at night, when he'd come to me terrorized by dreams of a crocodile on him- I shouldn't just have rolled over in tired slumbered, but prayed and warred over him. Then maybe we wouldn't have had to battle that croc. all morning.

He didn't want to change out of pyjamas or obey or listen or obey after time out, spanks or the paddle (our newest addition, which I am not too keen on, but have found it quite helpful as a last resort- except today). Even the last resort brought us to a miserable, crying fit standstill. As I held my little 2 year old angry, crying boy, I said we should ask Jesus to come and give him peace. Angry said he didn't want Jesus to come. So then I said we could ask the Holy Spirit for help- NO! came the beligerant reply. Exasperated, I explained that mommy needed a snack and did he want some too (the sneaky food decoy).

Then my son- possessed with some kind of evil, comes out with this kingdom treasure.

He said: we need to break bread like Jesus did.

So I cooked up a tortilla (our favorite bread to break) and poured some heavily diluted wine, took out our picture book bible and sat with my two toddlers in the kitchen and we prayed and ate and drank and took in peace and joy and forgiveness and love.

The day shone a little brighter and cheerier. The Lover had saved the day once again and there was peace and friendship in our home once again.

A couple had shared with our former church how they often took communion together, especially in tense moments or after a fight or argument and also how they welcomed their children to participate. That very morning I had read how the kingdom belongs to the little children, not to hinder them and that we are to enter like they do.

May this become my first response to these episodes. Thanks son for the reminder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very encouraged by your post.
My almost 4 year old son has a significant speech delay and he has been so frustrated this week. What a beautiful memories you are making.

trish said...

That is perfect. His perfection in your imperfect morning. I love your invitiation into Kingdom motherhood.