Sunday, February 24, 2008

collective

Sometimes I really miss being a part of a group, of working together for a common goal, the relationships, worship, study, encouragement... I don't feel that we will be in this desert place forever and there are little times of connecting here and there, but the comfort and reassurance (false or real) are what I miss a lot from being part of an organized church.

One thing we found that is exciting to me is child sponsorship. I know lots of people do it, but we hadn't been able until recently. We watched a promotional video and two things really struck me in it. One was that as a sponsor, our lifestyle is not altered much on this end. We are out a little money. But for the child it can mean everything. A totally transformed life: food, shelter, educational opportunities, community resources, health services and hope for a better life. That is God's economy.

People often say- but what about the millions of kids without food and that was the other exciting part. I may only be able to help one right now, but there are over a million other people helping just through this one organization. So we may just be able to do a little bit, but together that little bit could really change the world, and certainly a life.

A friend posted http://www.freerice.com/index.php. It's a vocabulary game you can play online and when you get words right, rice is donated to the United Nations Food Program. Again, my grains of rice may seem measly, but together it becomes meals for others.

1 comment:

Leanne Stewart said...

I know.

Move to Oregon already.

;)