Saturday, February 2, 2008

Offended for me

Jessie and her girlfriend, Vicky were on their front porch smoking cigarettes when I came out with the kids and their bikes. Across the street about 6 teens were walking by. Vicky hollers at them: "hey quit cussing, can't you see there are little kids around!" They blurt something back and Vicky retorts: "what did you say? You want a piece of me?". Practically asking for a fight, but they continue on and she looks apologetically at me telling me how it really bothers her when people act like that around kids.

I wonder what it was that bothers her... that she has been around crass/yelling/disrespectful people all her life and childhood (she's barely out of teenagehood herself), or that she doesn't have a whole lot of good fruit coming out of her own life, so she tries to make up for it with what she thinks I would want to hear when I'm around, or if she's genuinely concerned for my kid's exposure to cussing. I've always found it very weird when people apologize for other's behavior for me- because I'm the "church" person.

How is it that Jesus was so comfortable with the "lower class", no walls, no barriers, no perceptions that he was attacking them with his religiosity? He was so approachable, he broke down the barriers and walls and embraced us in all our harshness and rough exteriors (and interiors), while religion has built high towers to shield us from the "sinful people" of the world- where we can judge, disdain and bicker to our shame and folly.

2 comments:

Leanne Stewart said...

I was really unprepared for the reactions I have received from those who know I am a Christian now. You'd think I joined a convent and wore a habit!

But, then I remember all the times I would automatically judge someone's preferences based upon their religion, Christianity especially, and it helps me to not be so bewildered, because, while I have been truly and dramatically changed by Christ, I am, after all, still ME.

Huh, I just realized that I still DO assume people's preferences based upon their religion.

Whoa.

*goes off to ponder*

Michael Ogden said...

Highly accurate and very puzzling, but I've seen it all my life.

I've avoided shielding my kids from every little bit of that because the contrast between crass behavior and the