Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Living in reality


I had a dream a few nights ago...

I was on a cliff overlooking the ocean talking to two famous male lead actors. One was Tom Hanks. The other was younger, better looking, someone I admired in the movies. A helicopter flew by as we were on some kind of set. He was talking to me about the final scene in a romantic comedy with someone like Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts. He was telling me how brilliant it was, how all the pieces came together and it was so poignant. He was so into it that it was like he thought it was reality. Like it was really actually important to life and living.

At this realization, my admiration for him went in a nose dive and I walked away from him even as he continued his soliloquy. I was now at the base of the cliff and felt that I had to walk over 100 peoples feet to get to B (my husband). I thought it would be awful to walk over people, but I went forward anyways. To my relief, through the halls, I only passed by two people, a young girl and a woman and there was plenty of room to just walk by. I didn't actually have to step on them. I was in a locker room, passing the showers where I saw a digital timer. I thought it was counting down the time I had to find B, but as I looked it was counting up, adding time.

I went past there and was headed to the lake, where B was in a boat...


when I woke up to my daughter's real cries.

I had a definite sense from this dream that so often we live in a fake arena, thinking it is reality when the true life is just beneath us. It isn't a race, but a journey of a lifetime, where each minute and day counts. We are fed lies and spurred to invest in illusions, but reality is SO much better.

I have seen a woman throw away her marriage after having warped her mind in the fakeness of romance novels. I have seen people hooked on tv shows while their children or family cry out for attention. I have seen individuals wrapped up in movies and oblivious to the greatness of relationship opportunities in front of their eyes.

Lord, save me from the luring chasm of fiction that I may engage in the realities around me and love deeply, really, truly.

Do you see any other messages in my dream?

No comments: